FALL FUN SHOW
DEADLINE OCTOBER 23rd
NO ENTRY FEES! JUDGE’S FEEDBACK
AND AWARDS! PRACTICE AT HOME!
LEARN ABOUT HORSE AGILITY
JUDGED BY SCHERRI EDWARDS; HAAT
HORSE AGILITY ACCREDITED TRAINER
INTRODUCTION TO HORSE AGILITY
Horse Agility is the sport of executing an obstacle course with your equine partner. The challenge is how well you and your equine communicate with each other. Verbal, Non-Verbal and Body Language cues are used to communicate how you want your animal to execute the task at the obstacle.
The sport of Agility teaches your horse respect, trust and willingness. It teaches you, the handler, to be a good “Safe Leader” and helps the two of you to bond. The end goal of the sport is “Liberty”. Your horse is free from any equipment, wants to be with you, and wants to work with you!
This Fun Show is a Starter course to introduce you to the sport. You will practice a few cues and set up some goals for yourself. The more important part–Have Fun with Your Horse!!
Please check out my website further and read about the International Horse Agility Club. This Fun Show is an example of what the club has to offer and the learning and fun it promotes.
This Fun Show is not about perfection. It is about practicing the art of communicating well with your equine friend. Judge is looking for a “Try” in communicating, rather than a perfect course run. Scoring is 10pts/obstacle; 5pt on horse; 5pts handler.
RULES AND FUN SHOW TIPS
1. Set up the obstacle course following the diagram.
2. Practice cuing your horse to accomplish each task; go as smoothly as possible. FOLLOW ARROWS!
3. Some basic cues to practice are: WALK, WHOA, BACK AND STAND.
4. The challenge is the communication between you and the horse. The LEAD ROPE IS INVISIBLE. That means it is not used to direct your horse in any way (if possible). The rope is to remain loose; if it becomes tight it is judged as a “Tight Rope”.
5. Try not to touch your horse (if possible). He is to try on his own. (You can touch to reward or praise him).
6. Have someone video your entry. The video must be clear and have the entire horse, handler and obstacle you are executing in the picture to be judged properly. No breaks in the video and no editing is allowed. Details on how to upload the video are listed below.
1. TARP: Horse is to walk onto tarp (any size), stopping with front feet on tarp and standing still for 3 seconds. And then walk on. (handler can be anywhere)
2. FLAG: Handler to pick up a flag and wave it as you and horse walk to next obstacle.
3. POLE: Set down a flag, then ask horse to step over pole without touching it with his front feet. Then back up over pole. Walk over pole to next obstacle.
4. PUMPKIN: Have a pumpkin (real or fake) on the ground or raised on a chair, barrel etc. Ask horse to “TOUCH” the pumpkin. You cannot assist him or use the lead rope to direct him.
5. HULA HOOPS: Place two hoops 6 feet apart. Ask horse to step in first hoop with front feet without touching it. Horse to stand still while handler backs to stand in second hoop. Wait for 3 seconds then walk on.
6. HALLOWEEN SCARY CORNER: Make a “Hallway” lined with scary objects on both sides. Horse and Handler to walk calmly through.
****SPECIAL AWARD WILL BE GIVEN TO THE BEST HALLOWEEN SCARY CORNER!****
7. APPLE WALK: At the end of the Scary Corner have an Apple to pick up (A real Apple). Walk with the apple in your hand back to the tarp where you started. Horse is to walk calmly without mooching for the apple. (At the finish the apple may be given to him as a reward if you want!)
HOW TO UPLOAD VIDEO TO YOUTUBE
1. You must have a Youtube Account to upload videos. Once you are signed up and logged in, go to the Youtube Home Page.
2. In the upper righthand corner of the page, you will see a camera icon. Clicking on it will give you two options. Pick Upload Video.
3. Follow the directions to upload your video.
4. For the video’s Title please put your name, your horse’s name, and the event you are entering.
Please email the video Youtube link to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Include your name; your horse’s name and your mailing address so that I may ship your rewards.
Deadline for entries is October 23rd. Awards will be posted on Horsin Around New England’s Facebook page no later than November 1st.